NOTE: This article applies to DEVOS prior to the current version 4.1.
This article describes a problem using the Silverlight upload tool that has been part of the DEVOS 4 system with Google Chrome browsers. This problem appears to have been introduced with Chrome version 42 and relates to Google's decision to end support for what is called NPAPI plugins (also known as Netscape plugins). This is also part of an industry-wide shift away from using browser plugins towards native browser functions that are adopted as standards across the industry especially as a part of the implementation of HTML5 and beyond.
This problem manifests itself by showing a button that says "Install Microsoft Silverlight" on the Video Upload page in DEVOS in place of the upload tool which prevents the user from uploading their video. The result is something that looks like the image below.
It is possible for the user to click on this button and to go through the process of installing the Silverlight plugin, however this will not be sufficient to solve the problem. In addition, the user must go into the Chrome settings to enable NPAPI to allow the Silverlight plugin to work properly. Follow these steps to enable NPAPI:
- Open your Chrome browser and enter this URL in the address bar: chrome://flags/#enable-npapi
- Click on the "Enable" link under the NPAPI setting as shown below.
- Restart your Chrome browser and go to the Video Upload page in the Admin Portal of your DEVOS site. If the Install Microsoft Silverlight button is still there, continue to the next step. If you see the Upload Tool as shown below, you are all set.
- PC Users, continue with the following steps. Mac users, click here for instructions on uninstalling the Silverlight plugin from your computer, then skip to Step 7 below.
- If you still don't see the Upload Tool as shown above, open the Windows Control Panel on your computer and click on Uninstall a Program under Programs as shown below.
- Click on the Microsoft Silverlight listing in the list of installed programs and click the Uninstall link above the list as shown below.
- Once the uninstall process is complete, go back to the video upload page in the Admin Panel of your DEVOS server and click on the Install Microsoft Silverlight button to reinstall the plugin.
Once this process is complete, you should be able to reload the video upload page on your DEVOS site to see the upload tool and complete the VOD upload process. If you continue to have problems, please email Discover Video support from the form on this support site or at firstname.lastname@example.org for further assistance.