Video On-demand Question Playlists
Questions can be added to any video on-demand in DEVOS including content served in DEVOS from YouTube or Vimeo. Questions can be either multiple-choice or free-text questions that are embedded in the video and delivered to viewers either as they watch the video or at the end of the video. Questions help
you to determine if the viewer is understanding the content, but also is used for assurance that the
viewer actively viewed the material in its entirety.
How to Create a Question Playlist
To create a question playlist in a video in DEVOS, follow these steps:
- Navigate to the Video On-demand section of the Admin Portal under Media.
- Find the video you want to add the questions to and select Edit.
- Scroll down to below the bookmark and captions settings and click on Add New Question Playlist.
Fill out the form to create the question playlist by following these steps:
- Question Name -- a convenient name for your question list
- Must Be Correct -- if checked, the viewer must try again until they answer correctly
(used for learning, score will always be 100%)
- Test Once -- if checked, then this user may only take the test once. Subsequent visits to the
video will not offer questions.
- Playlist Type -- Answer and Continue, Duration Answer, or Answer At End:
- Answer And Continue – The viewers is presented with question. They must answer the question
to continue playing the video. After the specified duration, they are warned to answer the
- Duration – The viewer is presented with the question. They must answer it within the duration
time or they will receive a 0 (not answered) score. The video continues after the answer or when
the duration expires.
- Answer At End – The viewer is presented with the question at the end of the video only.
- Player / Pick Time -- move the slider to the point where you want to insert a question. Select
pause. Then select "Pick Start Time". This will insert the current player time into the Question Start Time box.
- Question Type -- Choose (multiple-choice) or Complete (free text)
For Choose Type, enter answers 1 to 4 and select which is the correct answer. Select ADD to add this question to the question playlist.
Repeat for the next question, making sure you select the time in the video where you want the question to appear.
- Question -- Enter the question, such as "What color is a banana?"
- Question Duration -- Enter the number of seconds the viewer has to answer.
- Click the Add button to add the question to the playlist.
- Repeat steps 5 through 9 above for each question you want to add to the question playlist until all questions have been created. (Note, steps 5 and 8 are not necessary if the Playlist Type is Answer At End.)
- Click Add to video at the bottom of the form to add the playlist to the video.
It is not necessary to click Save Changes in order for the question playlist to be added to the video, but you must click Save Changes if any other changes were made while editing the video.
Edit Question Playlist
Once the question playlist has been created, you can edit or delete the question playlists and the questions it contains by clicking the appropriate button from the Edit Video On-demand page.
From here, you can either edit or remove any existing question or add more questions to the question playlist.
One you are finished editing the question playlist, click Save Changes to commit the changes to the playlist.
View Reports on Questions Answered
Once viewers have answered at least one question in the playlist, you will start seeing reports for the questions answered. To view a report, click on Report for the video you want to view the report for.
You will see a list of views for that video during the selected date range. Note that if the video settings allow for the video to be viewed without logging in to the DEVOS system, the view may only report the name of the viewer as "Guest". If you want to be sure that all reports show the actual name of the viewer, you must either enable the Require Login checkbox in the Media Settings template assigned to that video or assign a Security Group to the video to only allow specific users to view that video.
To see what answers the viewer selected, click on the score in the Questions Answered. To export the report to a CSV file, click the export button next to the page filters.
How To Post A Video Download Link
DEVOS 4 allows you to make a video available for download by viewers if desired. Background In many cases you do not want to allow viewers to download a local copy of your video. This may be because of copyright, privacy, or security concerns. It ...
Closed Captioning for video on-demand in DEVOS
The term "closed caption" means text that can be displayed in the video player that can be turned on or off by a viewer. Any video on-demand in DEVOS can have closed captions assigned to it that a viewer can choose to display or hide. There are ...
Adding Videos to Channels from Manage Channels in DEVOS
Until a video is added to a channel, it is considered "unpublished". If the video is unpublished, that means the only way a person can find and watch the video is if they are provided the link to the video page to view it. Once the video has been ...
Uploading Video Files to DEVOS
There are several ways to upload new videos to DEVOS. These include uploading through a webpage upload form, uploading by FTP, or uploading via a special folder created in a Dropbox account linked to a specific user's account in DEVOS. Web Upload ...
When you upload a video to DEVOS and you want to replace it after it is published, follow these steps: 1) Log in to DEVOS and select edit of the target video 2) In the upper corner of the edit page, next to the "Download Video (Right-Click and Save ...